Finds from the Hohle Fels cave near Schelklingen
The Hohle Fels lies about 1 km northeast of Schelklingen along the Ach valley. Here on the right slope rise Jurassic limestone cliffs over 20 meters high. The entrance to the Hohle Fels cave is at the foot. A corridor of about 15 meters leads to one of the largest and most impressive subterranean caves of Baden-Württemberg.
The first excavations took place in 1870. This Stone Age site has been intermittently excavated since 1958. Visitors to the Hohle Fels should give advance notice Caves in the Alb-Donau county (Alb-Donau-Kreis) and even may watch excavation activities during the summer months.